Tuesday, May 23, 2017

Make NY Voter Registration Automatic


I recently was asked to write my New York State Senate Liz Krueger (D-28th District) about my support for Automatic Voter Registration.

This is her reply:

Dear Mr. Drucker

Thank you for writing me to express your support for automatic voter registration. This is a very important issue, and I support this move as well. The recent problems in regards to the 2016 elections confirm that reforming our out of date voter registration system should be a top priority.

At a time when the number of citizens turning out to vote in each subsequent election is trending downward, action must be taken to improve this turnout. I believe that automatic voter registration could do much to increase turnout. However, under the Constitution of the State of New York, all registration to vote must be active. Currently, my colleague Senator Martin Dilan has proposed a constitutional amendment (S4216) to strike that clause in the Constitution, an amendment that I cosponsor. If that amendment was accepted, the New York State Government would then need to pass a law to allow automatic registration upon receipt of a driver’s license. I will work with Senator Dilan to build for such an amendment in the future, and that participation in the democratic process will become more accessible for all New Yorkers.

Thank you again for informing me of your views. I will continue to work toward informing my colleagues of the importance of this legislation. Please do not hesitate to contact me in the future with any concerns you may have.

Sincerely,

Liz Krueger
State Senator












NYC Wins When Everyone Can Vote! Michael H. Drucker
Digg! StumbleUpon

No comments: