Wednesday, October 26, 2016

NY Gov. Cuomo Tells Donors He Wants a Democratic Senate


At a fundraising event in a midtown hotel, New York Gov. Cuomo made his strongest statements to date of his desire for a State Senate controlled by his fellow party-mates.

For the last six years of his administration, he's done little to help Democrats win the chamber and enjoyed his working relationship with Senate Republicans.

The Governor headlined Tuesday's soiree, which leaders of the Democratic Senate Campaign Committee hoped would raise more than $1 million for their efforts, and then followed it up with an overnight email solicitation. Cuomo repeated what he said earlier this week in endorsing Democratic candidates on Long Island, he needs their votes to enact several policy proposals.

"I cannot get ethics, Dream Act, campaign finance done with a Republican Senate. I can't. Why? They don't believe in it. They believe it's antithetical to their philosophy and they're not going to pass it. I'm not shy: they asked once, twice, three times to pass it. I was sweet, I wasn't so sweet. I tried everything, they're not going to do it. The only way that's going to happen is if we elect good Democrats to the Senate to support these positions and these policies and we're going to take the state forward," Cuomo said at the event, according to a tape that was provided. "There are some Democrats, frankly, who I won't go near. There are some Republicans who are actually good. You have a mixed bag on both sides, but I have not found a Republican who will support this agenda and I know I have found Democrats."

The Governor also predicted a "marriage" between the Senate's Independent Democratic Conference (IDC) and its mainstream leaders. "I believe Democrats in the Senate are going to have to be smart enough and flexible enough to form a partnership with the IDC. That is the probable scenario. It is going to be a little bit of, I use the term, marriage, because, you know, we all know how it ends up. ... But it starts by compromise - you have to establish households."











NYC Wins When Everyone Can Vote! Michael H. Drucker
Digg! StumbleUpon

No comments: