Thursday, July 22, 2010

NYC Mayor Bloomberg Endorsing Bing

Mayor Michael Bloomberg, a Democrat, then a Republican, and now an independent (called a Blank in NY) is also a constituent and will not be able to vote for current Democratic State Assemblyman Jonathan Bing in his September’s primary. But he is doing everything he can to make sure others do, endorsing the East Side Assemblyman in what will be the beginning of an effort to help beat back a challenge from a United Federation of Teachers-backed primary challenger, high school government teacher Gregg Lundahl.

Bing, who has worked closely with the mayor on charter schools and transportation, expressed deep excitement over receiving the support from the mayor. “The mayor has a great deal of support in his home Assembly district, and his endorsement will carry significant weight in both my primary and my general election campaign,” Bing said.

The winner of the Assembly primary will face Republican and Independence Party candidate Paul Niehaus, a commercial litigator making his first run for office.

I have worked with Bing who lives near me on local issues. But I also interviewed Paul as part of the NYC Independence Party selection committee. We decided to bypass partitioning for him and he used state members for his partitioning. As I was running for my 4th term on the state committee for this AD, the 73rd, he did not carry opposing partitions and I will run unopposed and will serve another two years. This primary will be interesting as I can also not vote.

Here is a perfect example of the need for Non Partisan Municipal Elections or Top Two.


Michael H. Drucker
Technorati talk bubble Technorati Tag in Del.icio.us Digg! StumbleUpon

No comments: